You Don't Have To Be Afraid Of A Root Canal Anymore
Do you have a severe toothache or extreme sensitivity in one specific tooth? This is a common sign that bacteria have infected the center of the tooth, known as the pulp. Because the pulp contains thousands of nerves, it often results in intense pain that negatively impacts your daily life by rendering it difficult to focus on anything else. Fortunately, Dr. Barry Bartusiak is dedicated to relieving your pain and preserving your tooth with a helpful treatment called root canal therapy. Keep reading below to learn more about whether you need a root canal in Washington, PA, and the benefits of this treatment.
What Is Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy, also known as endodontic treatment, saves severely decayed or damaged teeth from having to be extracted. Dr. Bartusiak will typically recommend this procedure when a tooth’s root has been infected or exposed. While root canals have a scary reputation, there’s actually nothing to fear about them. In fact, they allow you to keep your natural smile intact. By removing the infected pulp, we’re able to prevent the infection from spreading to other teeth, preserving your smile.
For patients with extreme dental discomfort, we offer same-day emergency treatment. That way, you won’t have to suffer for hours or even days before receiving the treatment you need and deserve.
Do I Need a Root Canal?
The most common sign that a root canal is needed is a severe toothache. However, there are several other symptoms you should watch out for. Give our dental office a call if you notice any of the following:
- Extreme sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks
- Pain when biting down
- Red or swollen gums
- A pimple-like bump on the gums near the tooth
- Dark discoloration of the tooth or its surrounding gums
The Root Canal Procedure
Rest assured that when you enter our dental office for a root canal, we’ll make sure you’re comfortable before beginning the treatment. Once we examine your tooth and determine that a root canal is what your smile needs, here’s what will happen:
- Your dentist in Washington, PA will administer local anesthetic and possibly even sedation to ensure you’re relaxed and won’t feel any discomfort during your procedure.
- The infected pulp inside your tooth will be removed.
- The inner chamber of the tooth will be thoroughly sanitized to make sure no bacteria remain.
- We’ll fill the inside of your tooth with a synthetic yet biocompatible material called gutta-percha.
- At your follow-up appointment, we’ll restore your tooth and protect it from further damaged with a customized, fully lifelike dental crown.
Benefits of Root Canal Therapy
In addition to avoiding the plethora of problems that can arise from extracting a tooth, root canal therapy offers several benefits, including:
- Efficient and cost-effective. A tooth extraction typically costs more than a root canal. You’ll also usually have fewer follow-up appointments.
- Virtually painless procedure. Despite their daunting reputation, root canals are actually not painful. Thanks to local anesthesia, you shouldn’t feel any more uncomfortable than you would getting a simple filling. Especially when compared to getting a tooth extracted, root canal therapy comes with minimal discomfort.
- Aesthetically pleasing results. Your tooth will be topped with a dental crown that’s custom-made to resemble your natural tooth in every way. In most cases, your dental team should be the only ones able to tell that it’s not your “real” tooth.
Want A Gorgeous Smile? We Can Help Restore It!
One The Most Highly Rated Dentist in Washington PA
235 Awesome Reviews On Google
125 Reviews On Facebook